My Lovely Girl: Midway Impressions (Ep 1-8)



It's been a long time since a drama has made me so crazy. The last one was Master's Sun which, if you read my previous post (here), you know made me crazy and practically hysterical. Once in a while, there will be dramas that drain me emotionally and leave me unable to think about anything else. My Lovely Girl is one of those dramas and I'm happy but scared at the same time that I've once again found a drama I'm obsessed about.


I was going to write a first impressions kind of thing on it after watching the first two episodes but school work got ahead of me so I kind of abandoned my blog for a while. I'm only writing this post because the feels for this drama has filled to the rim in my personal cup of emotional capacity.

If I were writing this right after finishing episode 8, this post wouldn't even be literate. It would be filled with my screams in all caps. Just to give you an idea, it would look like this: ALSFHJKJFDJ OMFGOMFOMGOMFG I DIED @*&*$ I DJEKJF OMG SO CUTE I CANT EVEN.

Now, since this is a drama with an intense ship war, I'll just make it clear that I ship Rain and Krystal's characters together. I'm not one of those crazy shippers so I respect the people who ship Shi Woo and Se Na and I totally know where they are coming from. L (Myungsoo) has been pure eye candy in this drama and although I was a bit skeptical about his blond hair in the beginning, I've come to appreciate it. But I need to remind people that having second-lead-syndrome will result in heartbreak 99% of the time. Trust me, I have been down that path and it has not been pretty. At the same time, I know it's impossible to control your own feelings, and that is the very reason why I keep getting my heartbroken every other drama (Quack couple, anyone?).

Since the age gap and the ex-girlfriend/sister thing doesn't bother me, I have to say that I'm floating on cloud nine at how the Se Na/Hyun Wook couple is progressing. The reason why they seem so natural together is because we can see how deep Se Na cares for Hyun Wook and how Hyun Wook can no longer deny or pretend to be unaware of his feelings. And that's why I don't ship Shi Woo and Se Na together. I agree that they do have chemistry but there has never been any indication of Se Na seeing him as more than a friend. On the other hand, Se Na's feelings for Hyun Wook have brought out the best in her. Se Na has become one of my favourite female leads because of her ability to go for what she wants but be considerate at the same time. It's her forwardness that stirred up Hyun Wook and eventually made him realize his own feelings. I swear that Se Na and Hyun Wook are one of the most, if not the most, strong and healthy couples I've seen in all of drama history.

Although the storyline is cliché, there's something about it that just works. It sticks out because its not trying to be unique or different. Instead, it's just normal but does a great job at pulling at the audience's heartstrings. Not sure about you but that last scene of episode 8 made my heart flutter so bad. I hope the next episode does a good job in addressing the smooch because My Lovely Girl has been getting better with each episode (impossible thing in dramaland) and it hasn't thrown any frustrating plot developments in yet, so I don't want it to suddenly go downhill after one of the best drama episodes I've seen this year.

Another bonus to this amazing drama is it's OST. Seeing as how Krystal's character, Se Na, is a songwriter, I wasn't surprised at how good the songs were. My favourite song right now is "I Want to Love You" by Alex from Clazziquai (he plays Hyun Wook's best friend in the drama but I forgot his character name). His voice is so calming and deep that it's like heaven to my ears. I also really like Krystal's song and think that her voice is perfectly sweet and fitting.



The last scene of episode 8 was prefect. I am officially dead until next Wednesday comes.



No comments:

Post a Comment