Trot Lovers Brings On The Waterworks (Ep 9-10)



Raise your hand if you cried watching episode 10 of Trot Lovers. You can't see me right now but I'm violently waving my hands in the air. Seeing how TL started off as such a funny romcom, I never thought I'd be crying already. If you haven't watched episode 10 yet, then I must warn you that there are a lot of spoilers after the jump. If you haven't watched Trot Lovers yet, then I hope you reconsider because this drama is just hitting all the right notes for me. That aside, if you did watch episode 10, then you are welcome to bawl with me after the jump.

Before this week, TL was just an average drama to me. It was fun and fluffy, but it didn't pull me in emotionally. After watching episode 10, I feel like this drama has sneakily grabbed me from behind and pulled me into its gut wrenching developments. Before I completely cry a river about the ending, there are several reasons as to why I fell in love with this drama and I want to point them out.

Chemistry is obviously super important, and I actually felt like the leads had chemistry right off the bat. While the majority of viewers were falling into the depths of hell that is second lead syndrome, I was patiently waiting for the chemistry between Eunji and Ji Hyun Woo to develop. As much as I love Shin Sung Rok, he's not really the type of guy I'd like to watch in a romantic relationship. His character, Geun Woo, is definitely quirky and likable. I give him big props for being so brave and going after what he wants. I can't really point out any faults in him at this point so I guess you could call him a perfect second male lead.

This might sound weird but I actually don't like any of the characters in this drama. I don't dislike them, but I don't like them either. They all give off a very typical and neutral feeling, which isn't always a bad thing. Rather, it's all the characters together and influencing each other that evokes stronger feelings in me. Chun Hee and Joon Hyun are typical stock characters, but together they emit a warm and cheery feeling with their natural personalities and how they feel for each other.


Soo In is also a reason why I like this drama. I know everyone is calling her bitchy and whatnot but I really like her for some reason. She is probably the most realistic character in this drama. Her jealousy towards Chun Hee is valid. I would feel the same way as her if I worked so hard for years and some random person with weird connections jumps in and gets all the fame. Although I wouldn't have done what she did, I can still understand her reasons at the time.

Side Note: Don't you just love how all the characters are so straightforward? Geun Woo confessed to Chun Hee, Soo In confessed to Geun Woo, and now Chun Hee and Joon Hyun are together. I applaud the drama for having such a brave and smooth get together of the leads. Also, Chun Hee totally earned my approval with her quick and straight to the point rejection to Geun Woo.

Now, lets talk about the ending of episode 10. Obviously, I cried my eyes out. The super sad OST plus Eunji's acting really just brought out all my tears that I saved up since my last drama crying marathon. The last few moments of ep 10 reminded me heavily of Masters Sun's episode 12 in terms of the heart wrenching feelings they both brought out. In Masters Sun, it was Gong Hyo Jin's crying act that made me cry every time I watched the scene. Likewise, Eunji's crying act just vacuumed out all my tears. I always considered Eunji a very natural actress, but her crying today just cemented her amazing acting abilities. Seriously, this girl just has it all--acting chops AND an amazing voice.


Good acting is important, but the amazing OST is what really made me start tearing up. So to end off, let me bring you my 2 favourite songs from TL's OST so far.

GB9 - Remember Me:


Beige - Be Opposite:

No comments:

Post a Comment