Yoona In Talks for Korean Nodame




NO.

Word on the street is that Yoona is being considered for the role of Nodame in the hit Jdrama, Nodame Cantabile. As you see above, I very much disagree with this "consideration."


Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Yoona at all. I'm actually a big fan of hers despite not liking any of her dramas. When I just got into Korean culture, I was a huge fan of SNSD. My favourite was actually Seohyun but Yoona was definitely my second favourite. I know people are tired of the hype around her beauty but hype or no hype, the girl is gorgeous. Not gorgeous for Nodame, though.

One of the many reasons why she wouldn't fit as Nodame would be that she's too pretty. Ueno Juri is pretty as well but there are different types of prettiness. Yoona has this princess-y aura to her whereas Juri has this eccentric vibe to her Nodame. In other words, Yoona is a little too airbrushed to be the weird and goofy Nodame. If she were to rough it up and let go of her image, then I would say go for it. But there is little to no chance that would happen, so I'd rather her not do it.

Aside from that, the most important factor in this is acting ability. Yoona has definitely improved over the years, most notably in The Prime Minister and I. Although I didn't complete the whole drama due to me not being able to take the age gap, I really liked Yoona's portrayal of her character. However, she is still not qualified in my eyes to play Nodame. When you put her side by side with Ueno Juri, there is really no comparison; Juri wins by a landslide in terms of versatility and acting chops.

If you haven't watched Nodame Cantabile yet, I highly recommend you to watch it. Popularity aside, it's really a drama that you either hate or love. I know a lot of people who just couldn't put up with Nodame's antics and the ridiculous characters. Personally, as someone who watched the drama along with all the SPs and all the movies, I enjoyed all of them. Those crazy characters and slapstick style is what cemented that show into my heart. I don't see any Korean dramas that come close to that style. Trot Lovers is a little bit on the margin, but still minimal in terms of exaggerated comedy. That isn't necessarily bad, because I enjoy Korean dramas for their own qualities, and I actually think it would be weird for the Korean remake to be exactly like the original Jdrama. On a side note, I think that Joo Won could be as crazy as Chiaki if he wanted to. In terms of talent, Joo Won could very much be on par with Tamaki Hiroshi.

Anyhow, I really don't think Yoona would fit Nodame very well unless she suddenly whips out her amazing acting abilities that shes been hiding from us all this time.

Luckily, I'm pretty sure the producers are just releasing this news to test the waters. Almost everyone is reacting negatively to this casting consideration so I hope they can see that. But its weird because there have been so many wrong castings in the past, so do the directors and PDs not care about the public opinion? Oh well. I also heard that the final casting all depends on Ninomiya Tomoko, the creator of the original manga series. So if KBS does end up casting Yoona, then I think it's okay to trust their decision since Ninomiya only wants someone who can live up to Ueno Juri's portrayal of the beloved Nodame.


No comments:

Post a Comment