Trot Lovers Pulls the Amnesia Card (Ep 11)



SIGH. SIGH SIGH SIGH SIGH SIGH. WHY AMNESIA. WHY TROT LOVERS, WHY?

Watching episodes 10 and 11 of Trot Lovers is like winning the lottery after 100 years of being homeless only to be struck with an incurable disease and die the day after. Trust me, I am not exaggerating here.

I was praying to god that Trot Lovers would not walk down the wrong path and pull amnesia on us but it looks like all of my praying was useless because it did. Episode 11 is probably the most frustrating episode of a drama I've watched this year and that says a lot because I finished watching Doctor Stranger.

I understand that there needs to be new and fresh conflicts to keep the story going but amnesia? Really now? Was that the best thing you could think of? Plus, it's one of those magical amnesia's that just so happens to make Joon Hyun remember everything up to just meeting Chun Hee? Sigh.

The thing is, I'm fine with amnesia despite its overused-ness, but I don't like it when its put into a drama thats not centered around it. Also, I don't see a reason this amnesia is needed. Sure it causes angst, but how does it actually help the plot keep moving? I would've much preferred Joon Hyun to wake up, want to blame Soo In, but ends up being threatened using Chun Hee as bait from Soo In's mom. That is how I wanted the episode to play out but as usual, things never go the way people want it. Its like the producers and writers are completely unaware at how overused amnesia is. Do they not read viewer comments expressing their dissatisfaction with using amnesia as a plot device? Or do they just keep putting it in there?

There are some clichés that I enjoy and I love watching, but amnesia isn't really one of them unless its developing characters or moving the plot forward. I see Joon Hyun's memory loss as moving Trot Lovers back a step. Chun Hee and Joon Hyun's characters both flourished when they faced hardships together. That is the reason why I became so in love with this drama last week. And now it feels like my memory of last weeks awesomeness is fading away.

Episode 11 annoyed me intensely, but I'm probably not going to drop this drama anytime soon. I use Viki to watch Trot Lovers and I quite enjoy reading the timed comments. When Joon Hyun woke up with amnesia, I saw a lot of commenters saying that they're jumping the ship and dropping this drama. While I understand their reasoning, I don't feel the same way because there is a big chance that Joon Hyun will remember Chun Hee by the end of episode 12. So now, I am anxiously waiting for the next episode and trying to cool off my anger for episode 11. Lets just see where this drama goes with only two more weeks left to show.

Side note: I still do not hate Soo In for some weird reason. I do hate her mother though. Her antics are getting bitchier and bitchier and I just wish there was some justice in this drama.

2nd side note: Doesn't Jung Eunji look spunkin in this drama? I'm loving her all black outfits; they really make her look like a cool chic.

No comments:

Post a Comment