Trot Lovers Starts Off Quirky and Cute (Ep 1-3)


So Trot Lovers is halfway into its second week now and I'm currently liking how the show has progressed. It really isn't a perfect drama and it actually has a lot of holes in the storyline when it's only the 3rd episode. I'm still waiting for the 4th episode tomorrow and I'm pretty excited how the story will turn out.

Right now, Trot Lovers is a fresh breath of air from the mess that it Doctor Stranger. So lets talk about my new love of Mon/Tues <3

Trot Lovers is well on its way to a steady plot development. Watching the first 3 episodes will really make you feel as if the drama itself is starting up its engine ready to start moving. Not to say that revving up the engine is boring. In fact, the setup is very much entertaining. And they owe it all to the theme of Trot music and the leads themselves.

Jung Eunji has always been on my like list. Her smile is to die for and just gives you fuzzy feelings. Most people discovered her through Reply 1997 and fell in love with her badass character. Although it was her debut into the acting world, she managed to pull off a critically acclaimed performance that can account for much of the shows success. Personally, I've never watched the drama, but I've watched clips and can see her talent. Her little stint in That Winter, The Wind Blows was also pretty impressive to me. From what I can see, she has a knack for playing the haughty strong female that loves to swear. This is going to sound so weird, but I love her acting when she's swearing and mad. Some are bashing her for having a character that's like her past two characters, but I disagree. If you're good at something, why not stick with it? The popular opinion seems to like celebrity who has variety, but I don't see that as necessary. You shouldn't bash someone for doing something he/she is good at. Although it may be boring to watch it over and over again, it's really no big deal. People need to get that just because diversity is good, doesn't mean that uniformity is not. Similarly, there is nothing wrong with not being ambitious. Sorry that I'm getting off topic here but I just can't seem to understand why people think that not wanting to try new things is a bad thing because its not.

Now lets take a U-turn back to the drama. Eunji is perfect playing the sassy Chun Hee, but her hardworking act is unconvincing. I'm pretty tired of the whole sad-life-but-happy-outlook female character but I can still enjoy it if done right. Maybe its because I've never seen Eunji as sympathetic, but her cheering words for herself make me feel nothing. She's a damsel in distress but I'm not feeling any empathy for her. The one thing that does appeal to me is her relationship with her father, because I can very much relate to having a good for nothing family member who you can't help but still love just because they're your family. Also, her singing skills are top notch so I'm obviously loving the music (It's a given because she's the main vocal of idol group, A Pink). Her chemistry with Ji Hyun Woo is also something that I love, but it's really not getting the kick it needs due to Ji Hyun Woo's so far unlikeable character.

Most of the focus seems to be on JHW's hair colour, but that's only the smallest of problems. BTW, this is an unpopular opinion but I like his hair colour \ (@@) / But really, his character has so far given people no reason to like him. Since I'm kind of always on the unpopular side of topics, it should be no surprise that I actually very much like his character. I really have no personal complaints with him. But he's done such a horrible thing to Chun Hee! Yeah, I know, but it didn't really affect my feelings for his character. I do understand very so why people find him unlikeable because in reality, he's a douche. No matter what the reason is, how could you scam a girl who already has so many hardships to overcome? There is no excuse for his actions. The ending of episode 3 was pretty good, though. Kneeling on your knees is a very intense gesture. I was half expecting it because I honestly don't think Chun Hee should forgive him otherwise. Hopefully, they can get through their difficulties together after this second week.


Aside from the little character flaws, this show definitely delivers its promise of romcom. This drama uses a slapstick kind of style and overexaggerated actions to deliver the comedy. This is rarely seen in Kdramas, but I've seen it plenty of times in Jdramas and Tdramas. I actually really like the comedy of the exaggerated movements and cute sound effects because it really gives the drama an overall fluffy feeling. So far, this drama is doing great and now that it can get the plot rolling, I'm defs excited for next weeks episodes!





No comments:

Post a Comment